• Migrant Ed Services

    Posted by Scott Martin on 9/28/2020

    Title 1-C Migrant Education Program

    • Do you fish, process fish, log, or farm? Title I-C is a federally funded program serving Migrant Education Students.

      Migrant Education Students are:

      • Children birth to 20 years old who have not graduated from high school.
      • They travel or move with a parent or guardian for commercial fishing, subsistence fishing, fish processing, logging, or farming. Children over 14 years of age that have also worked in one of these migrant activities may qualify on their own.
      • The move or travel is a minimum of 7 nights & 8 days over the course of a year. The days and nights do not need to be consecutive or the move/travel may be permanent.

      Please review the eligibility information.  Your family may qualify for Migrant Education Benefits.

      If you are an existing Migrant Education Family, please review the benefits, services, and resources available to your children below.

      If you have questions or need more information about the NWABSD Migrant Education Program please contact the Federal Programs Office at (907) 442-1817.

      Recruitment, Eligibility & Benefit Information:

      New eligible Migrant Education Students can be signed up or "recruited" at any time during the year.  We focus on recruiting new families in the fall, however, if you feel you may qualify, please contact us regardless of the time of year.

      Below is information about what Migrant Activities are and other criteria for eligible students and family members.  Take a minute and fill out the Migrant Education Screening Survey and return to the NWABSD Federal Programs Office or deliver to your school's Title 1-C Aide.  It will be reviewed and if we determine you may qualify, you will be contacted for more information.  The State of Alaska makes all final determinations regarding eligibility.

    Comments (-1)
  • Migrant Education (Title I-C)

    Posted by Joy Williams on 7/24/2015
    PURPOSE: The purpose of these funds are to support the education programs and help ensure that migratory children who participate in qualifying migrant activities, such as commercial and subsistence fishing, are not penalized in any manner.  
    CURRENT USE OF THE MIGRANT TITLE I-C FUNDS IN NWABSD:  We currently use these funds to provide extra time for our migrant aides to work with migrant students, after school tutoring for migrant students in the Navigator Club, and a 2-week residential Summer ReadiSTAR program for migrant students needing credit recovery, extra help, and additional career & life skills.

    (1) A parent and child must travel at least 20 miles from their home to do commercial or subsistence fishing (measured by actual miles traveled, not by air miles).

     (2) The participants must be away from home past midnight to count it as one trip. 

     (3) All of the trips must add up to a minimum of 7 nights/8 days away from home during the past 12 months (including winter fishing trips).

     (4) The activity must be an economic necessity for the family (providing needed food or income).

     * Another way to qualify is for a parent and child to travel at least 20 miles away from home for a fish processing job (from Kobuk to Kotzebue) or to a community in a different school district for a fish processing job (such as Nome).

     ** If the person fishing or working is 14-19 years old, he or she can qualify without a parent participating in the activity (including unenrolled students that have not graduated).

     *** A berry picking trip is eligible if it is in a different school district (such as in Shishmaref or Point Hope). The participants must be away from home past midnight to count the trip.

     Every student that is eligible receives additional educational resources (such as books) and brings additional funding to the school district to provide valuable services (such as after school tutoring).  Also, if a migrant student transfers to a different school district (such as Anchorage), they immediately qualify for free meals in the new district.

    If you have any questions, or would like to see if you are eligible for this program, please contact the school secretary or call the State & Federal Programs Department at (907)-442-1817/1818
    Comments (-1)