2022 Spelling Bee ScheduleDate Event LocationTBA Local School Spelling BeeFeb 24 (THUR) District Spelling Bee**Determination if the District Champion attending the State Spelling Bee will be in February.Mar TBA State Registration DeadlineMar TBA Alaska State Spelling Bee TBD: Virtual or Live in AnchorageMay TBA National Spelling Bee National Arbor, MarylandEligible Participants:5th-8th Grade Students with following restrictions specified by Scripps.1. Eligibility:(3) The speller must not have beyond the eighth grade on or before August 31, 2020.(8) The speller must not have reach his/her 15th birthday on or before August 31, 2020.Format:
Written Test Process:
- Format: Written Test
- # of Words: 50
- Winner determined by highest number of words spelled correctly.
Scoring & Submission:
- District Activities Coordinator will email the 50 words in the format of the pronouncer guide along with scoring key that Wednesday at 10:00 AM to the Site Principals.
- Site Principal & Spelling Bee Coach will oversee the administration of the written test.
- The Pronouncer will announce each word along with it used in a sentence.
- Student may still ask for the definition if they wish.
- Pronouncer should move onto the next word after 1 min has passed.
Tie-Breaker:In the event there is a tie for 1st Place, a new written test composed of 25 words will be administered until 1 student outscores the other.
- All spelling sheets should be scored.
- Top 3 scores from each school should be submitted to the District Activities Coordinator for review.
- District Activities Coordinator will anounnce on Friday, February 25th the Top 3 finishers in the district.