Kiana means “a place where three rivers meet.” Kiana was established long ago as the central village of the Kobuk River Kowagmiut Inupiat Eskimos. In 1909, Kiana (“ky-AN-nuh”) became a supply center for the Squirrel River placer mines. A post office was established in 1915 and the city government was incorporated in 1964. About 400 people live in Kiana, 93% Alaska Native. Kiana sits on the north bank of the Kobuk River where it meets the Squirrel River, 57 air miles east of Kotzebue.