Food and Beverages
Foods served through the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs will comply with nutrition standards established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Other food and beverages (including but not limited to vending, concessions, a la carte, student stores, parties and fundraising), served from one-half hour before the start of the school day until one-half hour after the end of the school day, must meet the following food and beverage nutrition guidelines.
Water approved for sale is:
- Plain or carbonated water that does not contain added sweeteners (natural or artificial, including sucralose and aspartame); vitamins; caffeine; or herbal supplements. Water may be sold in any size.
Juice or juice/water blends approved for sale are:
- 100% fruit or vegetable juice, or juice/water blends, plain or carbonated that do not add sweeteners (natural or artificial); caffeine; or herbal supplements. Maximum size allowed for sale is 12 oz.
Milk approved for sale are:
- 2%, 1% or fat free (skim) milk. Maximum size allowed for sale is 16 oz.
- Enriched rice, nut or soy milk (may be "low fat"). Maximum size allowed for sale is 16 oz.
- Rice, soy or nut milks must be enriched with calcium, per 8 oz. serving, to at least 30% of the Daily Value set by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- Flavored milk may contain no more than 55 grams of sugar total per 16 oz. (27 grams of sugar per 8 oz.) including both naturally-occurring and added sweetener. Maximum size allowed for sale is 16 oz.
Sports Drinks approved for sale are:
- Beverages that contain less than 30 grams of sugar per 16 oz. serving. Maximum size allowed for sale is 16 oz.
Milkshakes and smoothies will follow the Food Standards listed below.
Other Beverages are not approved for sale.
- Have 30% or less of total calories from fat (excluding fat that occurs naturally in tofu, nuts, nut butters, seeds, eggs, legumes, fruits and vegetables, cream cheese, low-fat salad dressings, cheese and butter);
- Have 10% or less of total calories from saturated plus trans fat (excluding fat that occurs naturally in tofu, nuts, nut butters, seeds, eggs, legumes, fruits and vegetables, cream cheese, low-fat salad dressings, cheese and butter);
- Have no more than 35% total sugar by weight including naturally occurring and added sugars (except for sugars that occur naturally in a dairy product, fruit or vegetables);
- Be limited to the following maximum portion sizes:
- One and one-quarter ounces for chips, crackers, popcorn, cereal, or jerky;
- Two and one-half ounces for trail mix, nuts, seeds or dried fruit;
- Two ounces for cookies or cereal bars;
- Three ounces for bakery items;
- Three fluid ounces for frozen desserts, including, but not limited to, ice cream;
- Eight ounces for non-frozen yogurt.
Exceptions to these administrative regulations for food and beverage may be made for individual products which have sufficient nutritional value to offset sugar or fat content, or other requirements, or to prohibit the sale of individual products which are deemed inappropriate for sale to students despite meeting these guidelines. Nutritional information, along with samples of the product in question (when possible) shall be provided to the Superintendent's designee in charge of nutrition services for approval before products are placed in schools.